Who is Burnaby Pride?
Burnaby Pride is a collaborative community initiative. Our organizers include a number of agencies in Burnaby that support our community with their programs and services as well as individual 2SLGBTQIA+ folks and allies.
We are always looking for enthusiastic new folks to join us!
Pride is a powerful opportunity to bring visibility, compassion, and a greater understanding of 2SLGBTQIA+ identities to all community members in Burnaby. It's a chance to celebrate the vibrancy and diversity of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, while acknowledging the deep history of the fight for equity and justice for all gender identities & sexual orientations. And there's glitter.
Burnaby Youth Hub
In March of 2018, the Burnaby Intercultural Table hosted a community forum to better understand the challenges of 2SLGBTQIA+ newcomers and to provide educational opportunities for frontline workers on issues addressing the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. At the forum, representatives from local service organizations identified resources and services within Burnaby for 2SLGBTQIA+ audiences, and thought of ways to bring about community connections, celebrate diversity, and promote inclusivity and understanding. From this initial conversation, the Burnaby Pride Planning Committee was formed.
The inaugural event on August 11th, 2018 aimed to launch a lasting movement that would honour, celebrate, and educate about 2SLGBTQIA+ folk in Burnaby.
In 2019, Burnaby Pride expanded to hosting two events, the Rainbow Garden Party and the Pride Street Festival. The Rainbow Garden Party was held at Burnaby Civic Square, next to Metrotown Library and was more adult-oriented, including drag performers, a DJ, candy, ice cream, food trucks, drinks, and dancing. It was a wonderful celebration with a great crowd and energizing vibe. The Pride Street Festival was held on Jubilee Avenue and brought together service providers and entertainment.
In 2020 and 2021 Burnaby Pride pivoted to a Digital Pride because of the pandemic. We also added some programming (virtual book talks) in the fall and winter.
Since 2022, Burnaby Pride is back to in person programming! Check out our calendar for the latest events
- Inclusivity: We are committed to creating accessible, respectful spaces for the meaningful engagement of all individuals, and to finding ways to continually improve inclusive actions.
- Diversity: We recognize, acknowledge, and respect the diverse and intersectional experiences of 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals in Burnaby, and work to centre these unique voices and experiences in every aspect of our work.
- Community: We believe in the strength of community, and work to support and showcase local individuals, artists, businesses, and organizations.
In hosting a Burnaby Pride we are working to:
- Create a safer space where 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals, youth, and families can foster meaningful connections and strengthen the sense of 2SLGBTQIA+ community in Burnaby;
- Promote 2SLGBTQIA+ visibility and provide opportunities for education, compassion-building, and greater understanding & awareness of ourselves and others;
- Showcase and celebrate the diversity of identities and experiences within the 2SLGBTQIA+ community; and
- Share information regarding community services, resources, and supports for the 2SLGBTQIA+ community in Burnaby and surrounding communities.