A brief history of burnaby pride
In March of 2018, the Burnaby Intercultural Table hosted a community forum to better understand the challenges of LGBTQ2S+ newcomers and to provide educational opportunities for frontline workers on issues facing the LGBTQ2S+ community. At the forum, representatives from local service organizations identified resources and services within Burnaby for LGBTQ2S+ audiences, and conceptualized ways to catalyze community connections, celebrate diversity, and promote inclusivity and understanding. From this initial conversation, the Burnaby Pride Planning Committee was formed.
Recognizing the absence of an annual pride parade or festival, the Burnaby Pride Planning Committee set out to create Burnaby's first ever LGBTQ2S+ Pride Street Festival. The inaugural event on August 11th, 2018 aims to launch a lasting movement that will highlight LGBTQ2S+ presence and belonging within Burnaby.
- Inclusivity: We are committed to creating accessible, respectful spaces for the meaningful engagement of all individuals, and to finding ways to continually improve inclusive actions.
- Diversity: We recognize, acknowledge, and respect the diverse and intersectional experiences of LGBTQ2S+ individuals in Burnaby, and work to centre these unique voices and experiences in every aspect of our work.
- Community: We believe in the strength of community, and work to support and showcase local individuals, artists, businesses, and organizations
In hosting a Burnaby Pride Street Party, we are working to:
• Create a safer space where LGBTQ2S+ individuals, youth, and families can foster meaningful connections and strengthen the sense of LGBTQ2S+ community in Burnaby;
• Promote LGBTQ2S+ visibility and provide opportunities for education, compassion-building, and greater understanding & awareness of ourselves and others;
• Showcase and celebrate the diversity of identities and experiences within the LGBTQ2S+ community; and
• Share information regarding community services, resources, and supports for the LGBTQ2S+ community in Burnaby and surrounding communities.